6.12.2014

Making A Curtain Rod Out of Electrical Conduit

© shoutingforha
The Ha house has a large front window that measures 140" across. The fellas and I typically hang out in the den at the the back of the house most nights so privacy wasn't really an issue.  All that changed when we did our little kitchen renovation.  

You may recall that in addition to gutting/redoing our entire kitchen we cut an 8-foot opening between the kitchen and dining room. That opening not only let in a ton of extra light, it provided a clear line of sight from the front window to our kitchen.  

I am not one to keep curtains drawn but sometimes a person wants a little privacy.  Especially on those early school mornings when a certain someone might be stumbling about the kitchen in their pajamas prior to their first cup of coffee.  Just me? 

I decided that the only logical thing to do would be to hang both sheers and drapes on the front window.  The sheers would provide the privacy I desired while still letting in the light.  The only problem was that a double curtain rod large enough to span the window was ridiculously expensive and most of them were far too ornate to suit my simple taste.  

Enter my brilliant idea…  Why not use electrical conduit to make a curtain rod.

For the large window I purchased four 10' lengths of conduit, six couplings, two compression connectors and three double curtain rod brackets from my local home improvement warehouse. 

After securely affixing the brackets to the wall (one on each end and one centered on the window), I got to work cutting the conduit to the appropriate length.  Using my handy-dandy hacksaw I cut the two pieces of conduit for the front rod in 6.5' lengths.  I wanted the sheers to hide behind the curtains when not in use so I made them 3" shorter.


© shoutingforha
The two lengths of conduit were joined using one of the couplings.  Notice that the screws hold the curtain rod squarely in the middle of the center bracket.


© shoutingforha
I attached a coupling to all four ends of the rods to prevent the curtains from sliding off the edge. The compression connectors were placed on the ends of the front rods as a simple finial of sorts. 

The curtains slide easily on the conduit and it supports the weight of the curtains without bowing or sagging.  I was so happy with the results that I decided to hang an identical double rod on the 4' window in the adjoining dining room.  Best of all, the entire project cost a mere $56.  Not bad if I do say so myself.  

1 comment(s). Leave yours!:

Shane Lee said... Best Blogger Tips

This post is really valuable that designed for the new visitors. Pleasing work, keep on writing.www.worthingelectrician.co.uk

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...